A Brit Wannabe

Last weekend I had a meet up with my friend at Tanjong Jara Resort, Terengganu. Apparently, her husband flew down from London for a short wedding trip in Kuala Lumpur and given a chance to be able to spend time together they decided to do a short getaway at TJR. The last time I met the husband was in 2013 I guess. This friend of mine has been planning to go to TJR for a long time. Of course I was excited when she told me she was coming down to Terengganu because that means she will be able to meet my wife and the baby. My wife and I have been married more than a year now but only last week they had a sight on each other.  She didn’t come to my wedding…so yeah.

We had a good lunch at one of the resort’s restaurants. Well I can’t remember the name but the food was quite good. Have I mentioned this? Anyway this is not a food review. Bummer! Haha. It was a 3 hour lunch. Told you it was long. Apart from the decent lunch, what I enjoy the most was the conversation. We had a very long conversation. We covered everything except politics and mostly babies.

Now the best part is it was in full English conversation. Ok the “Lah” usage at the end of the word doesn’t count. This is what I’ve missed. Ever since I’m back in the State (Read: State of Terengganu) my English is limited. I don’t have friends that I can speak English to in full sentences. I do not know how to spark the conversation in English. Rational is most people in the State speak Bahasa. Better yet Bahasa in their own dialect. At least that's what I think in Terengganu.  This is what they are accustomed to and I was and used to be one of them.

Honestly English has always been my favourite subject. I picked up English when I was in school. Contrary to what I should have been practicing, I developed speaking skill at the later stage. All the while I thought listening, reading and writing should be prioritized but wrong was I indeed. I came across an article whereby the writer’s tip to speak English fluently is by speaking the language. Ignore the grammar part because when you tend to do that you’ll end up speaking miserably. Another tip is to avoid direct translation. What you should do is just expresses it in English. (If you care for a read up of the article, please refer to 5 Speaking Rules)

As much as I love the language, I’d be more happy if I can apply it to my daughter. Hence, I am going to make an effort to speak the language in full sentences at most of the time. Yeah she is just 4 months but early teachings would do no harm. Do you know that you should talk to your newbies as much as you could? This is the time where newbies pick up every responds from their surroundings.  By logic, the newbies shall be able to pick up English eventually when they hear you converse the language most of the time, every day, 7 days per week.

Words of advice: Do not condemn Malay born English speakers (exception to the arrogant). Master the language yet loves your Bahasa.



This is the entrance to the TJR's reception. Unmistakably Malay

Comments

Popular Posts